Ah, the good ‘ol juice cleanse. Detoxing, losing water weight, clearing up your skin, why not do one, right? Aside from highly restricting your calorie intake and not eating for three days, juicing is awesome. I really mean it. I did the Nekter Juice Bar Advanced Three Day Cleanse and absolutely loved it! After day three I felt thinner, detoxed, five pounds lighter (actually 5.8 to be exact), and ready to keep eating healthy. My favorite thing about the cleanse is that once it is over, the last thing you want to do is eat unhealthy food.
Here are a few survival tips:
1. Focus – get your head in the game – really. If you are committing to this, commit to it. Juice cleanses (especially if you don’t make them yourself) are not cheap and give you the benefits only if you follow the cleanse guidelines. Don’t cheat yourself. Be honest with yourself up front that it is not going to be easy.
2. Know Your Limits – That being said, listen to your body. If you need to eat something clean and healthy – do it! Don’t get so obsessed that you don’t listen to your body. If you really need food, make sure to eat because the cleanse is very calorie restrictive. Just remind yourself not to eat simply because you “miss eating.”
3. Pre-Cleanse – start cleansing before the detox – I totally dropped the ball on this one. I didn’t realize I was supposed to start eating healthy before the cleanse. The woman at Nekter informed me as I was picking up the juices and was going to start the next day. I should have cut back my calories a little and upped my veggies. This made the cleanse slightly harder than it needed to be.
4. Know What You’re Drinking – if you purchase the cleanse – find a good company. Make sure you read the nutrition facts before you buy it. Make sure the ingredients are 100% natural with no added sugars. Don’t waste your money on something that isn’t 100% natural and good for you!
5. Don’t Stop – plan on continuing to eat clean. You are going to feel amazing once the three days (or however long you cleanse) is up. Try not to have any big parties planned or events where you are going to be tempted to eat foods that aren’t clean. You can get so many more benefits from the cleanse if you keep up the healthy routine.