I’m a little crazy when it comes to skincare. When I say a little I really mean incredibly. Before I fall asleep at night I am pinning on Pinterest like a little fiend. I love learning about the best foods to eat for healthy skin, skin care tips, new products on the market, etc. What I also love is unbiased information from experts. I enjoy going to the dermatologist but can’t help but feel a little swayed by their ulterior motives. Over the weekend a friend and I were out having drinks and she made friends with a dermatologist from LA. We told him we would love to come to his office but living in Orange County makes it hard. He was happy to share all his tips with us which was a dream for me. I ran inside to grab my phone and began taking notes like a mad woman. There we sat, staring at his perfectly glowing complexion giving us secrets I couldn’t imagine he was giving out freely. The best part? A lot of the tips are things anyone can do and do not cost a ton of money. That being said, there were some things that were a little pricey but he swore by. Call me crazy, but if someone is going to give me tips about something they better have it going on. This guy. Had perfect. Skin. Without further ado, here were his tips:
- Begin with an activated charcoal face wash. He recommended this because the charcoal really helps pull out impurities from your skin more than a basic face wash. He said to purchase any kind you like on amazon – nothing high end needed. Also – stay away from the charcoal bar soaps. Just use one from the bottle. I purchased mine here.
- Scrub your skin. Okay, this one is a little pricey. He recommended Lancer RX scrub polish which you can order from Nordstrom or Sephora. According to him, this is the ultimate scrub and is worth every penny. It’s on the more expensive side but he said it will last you eight months. Buy from Nordstrom here.
- Tone your skin. Any toner is fine. Don’t worry about paying up for toner. What a relief!
- Use vitamin C. This is another one he said you don’t have to worry about choosing a high end brand. Just use vitamin C topically every day since it will deliver the antioxidants directly to your skin. I love Kiehls.
- Moisturize. He recommended the brands Lancer or PCA. I am going to get samples from Nordstrom and Sephora to try them both out before I purchase either one. I like to try out a product before I drop a lot of money on something. I have sensitive skin and don’t want any product or money to go to waste.
- Use SPF every day. Read your labels when it comes to sun block. He recommended only using brands that have 2% or more zinc oxide since that is what really protects your skin. I haven’t tried this one but it has enough zinc oxide and I love the Honest Company.
- Take vitamin C orally. He said to take 1,000 mg every day! This seems excessive but he said your skin needs the antioxidants. I will probably not take quite that much but upping my vitamin C is on my list. I purchased some gummy vitamins so I will be more likely to take them.
- Take a multivitamin daily. Any brand is fine but make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs.
- Get microdermabrasion treatments monthly. This one was interesting to me. I have heard mixed reviews about microderm but he swore by it. He said that once you turn 25 your skin doesn’t have the cell turnover it once did. According to him, microderm combats this and helps remove dead skin cells from your skin. He recommended looking for deals for microdermabrasion on Groupon to save money.
- IPL treatments for sun spots. If you suffer from sun spots, IPL lasers are the best way to get rid of them. This is another one he said you should look for cheaper deals on Groupon instead of spending full price since they can be expensive.
I am beyond excited to try out this list of recommended skincare from a dermatologist with nothing to gain. In fact, I already have a microdermabrasion appointment on Friday so be ready for a review on that. I also have a charcoal face wash, vitamin c gummies, and rose petal toner in the mail from amazon. I’m going to run to Nordies this week to try samples of the Lancer RX scrub and moisturizer. So, per usual, stay tuned for some more skincare updates once I try some of these out. If you want to check out my Skincare Bible, click here. What are some of your skin secrets?